1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
Had an IV. Had a baby. Nursed. Nursed over a car seat in a moving car while McKinley stayed strapped in her seat. Nursed in a restaurant. Nursed in Target. Nursed in Meijer. Nursed in the mall. Babywore (?) Wore my baby. In my house. In the mall. All of the above mentioned stores. So many baby/McKinley/parenting related things I can’t even list. I can’t think of anything else. At least, that isn’t related to being a new mother.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn’t make any, so YES! Good for me!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Meet my daughter, McKinley:
My nephew, Asher:
My SIL had a baby girl, Abigail. And about 10 of my closest twitter buddies.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Dear God, I wish this question didn’t exist. And I wish I could skip it. But 2010 wouldn’t have been the best and worst year of my life without questions #3 and #4.
My Uncle Jamey died on May 11th.
My father-in-law Rich died on May 24th.
To say that May, 2010 was the worst month of my life is an understatement.
I wasn’t able to fully grieve either of these losses until very recently, due to being 7 months pregnant at the time. I knew I needed to stay well for myself and for McKinley.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
Patience, love towards others, financial security.
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Tuesday, May 11
Monday, May 24
Friday, August 13, McKinley's Birthday!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Having a baby, yo.
9. What was your biggest failure?
At the time, I felt like a failure for not being everything for Aaron after his dad’s passing. I now look back and realize that in that moment, I was everything I could be. I HAD to take care of myself for the sake of “the baby”. There were times that I could have, should have been more patient and understanding of his grief, and I wish I would have been. But I can’t change it.
And every year going forward, my biggest failure will be that I lived such a selfish life (read: massive debts) prior to becoming a mother, that I will have to allow someone else to care for McKinley while I work a full-time job. Ugh. My heart hurts.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Only self-inflicted, you know, recovery from a c-section.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Diapers, wipes, butt paste.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Diapers, wipes, butt paste. Actually, I’m sure it was to eating out. Which will change this year. Cause we have to pay for day care and stuff.
And repayment on Student Loans.
And my car payment. Come on, December 2011. Mama wants a mini-van.
13. What did you get really excited about?
Having a BABY!
Being a MOM!
14. What song will always remind you of 2010?
I don’t know.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Both. Which is incredible and heartbreaking at the exact same time.
– thinner or fatter? Er, fatter.
– richer or poorer? :womp, womp: poorer
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Saved money. Ugh. Saved some freakin’ money.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Spent money. I feel like this is getting boring and repetitive. How about, complained? Cried? I just feel like some of those complaints and tears were totally warranted. I’m such a Debby Downer.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
With our families, smiling through the first Christmas without our loved ones, and sharing the joy that everyone felt having McKinley present.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
How I Met Your Mother, Cupcake Wars, Desperate Housewives, The Biggest Loser
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
I mostly read books preparing me for motherhood, the titles of which I couldn’t tell you. And also “On The Night You Were Born”, which brings me to big, blubbering messy tears. Every time.
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
I am not enough of a seasoned musical lover to answer this correctly. I’d probably put down a song that actually came out in 2008.
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
Again, I am not a movie watcher. My favorite movies that I watched in 2010 were probably from 2009. Or earlier.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
My birthday was on a Monday. I worked. Aaron and McKinley took me to Boston’s Pizza for lunch. I turned 29.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Heh. I love my daughter. She is the best gift I have ever received. Not having to work so that I could spend every day with her would have made my year immeasurably more satisfying.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Maternity clothes. Followed by yoga pants.
26. What kept you sane?
I’m not. :wink:
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
EVERY. BREATH. COUNTS. You never, EVER know when you will say “bye” to someone for the very last time. And also that being a mother is the single greatest thing/feeling/emotion/job in the entire world.